About Me

My photo
Husband, father, friend, runner, actuary, woodworker

2010-02-15

14 Miler

Happy Valentines Day everyone, especially my loving, supportive and encouraging wife.

I finally ran more than I ever have in a single day - 14 miles.  Did it in just over 2 hours (2:02:44).  Weather was nice at about 30 degrees.  I did this one from home, instead of driving down to the lake and running the usual Kenosha Marathon route.  Started out with the wind to my back and elevation decreasing the first 4.5 miles.  It occurred to me at ne point that I may have trouble getting back up this hill.  Well, I did.

The only other item that was shocking was at a point where I was about 13.1 miles into the run (I wanted to see my time).  A dog in the subdivision to the south of my subdivision decided to follow me.  As I am figiting with my Garmin this chocolate lab starts sniffing at my elbow.  YIKES!  The dog scared me to death (but just for that second).  I never felt so much adrenaline rush thru my body.  It actually was good timing as I picked up the pace to make it home.  I laughed pretty much the rest of the way home. 

The next big run report I do is probably my 20 miler and 22 miler.  Unless of course something happens in between.  Each week I pick up another mile and anpther milestone run.  Normally I get a medal for reaching these distances, so since Uncle Mikes Top Shelf Pub is on my run route I normally stop there to pick up a nice new beer that I've never tasted.  I limit myself to a pint, so if you are around U-Mikes after my run, you might just get to try one of my medals.

Ooooh, I am also making a medal whore hanger.  Still undecided on some of the material, but I have a prototype.  Will possibly give them away as presents/awards for others as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job, buddy. Keep plugging away, building your way up, and I promise to get you through those 20+ milers.

    Susan just got me a medal hanger. http://26point2medals.com/gfx/Runner.JPG Just put on the wall today with my 7 medals to date. Looking forward to adding several more this year.

    ReplyDelete